Continental Tire, a prestigious brand, welcomed to the rEvolution roster in 2015, brought with it a portfolio of sponsorships and activations across racing, soccer and college basketball. Driven by the team in our Indianapolis office, rEvolution continues to lead Continental Tire to big wins and to ensure that authentic work is produced across all mediums, for fans of all sports. Continental Tire is a client with a diverse portfolio of interests which fully leverages rEvolution’s integrated model to achieve efficiencies and brand marketing objectives across the board.
MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER
As a longstanding MLS (Major League Soccer) and U.S. Soccer brand partner, Continental Tire has used the platform to drive awareness and sales among the soccer audience by becoming a staple brand in American soccer culture through quality TV commercials and branded content, impressive on-site game signage, post-game coverage and exclusive rights to the coolest soccer premium: the scarf.
- Throughout the season, Continental leverages its sponsorship across all MLS platforms, including field level exposure on the league’s signature LED field signs, as well as signage behind the goal at every MLS venue. Additionally, a national mobile tour visits 35 regular season, post-season and U.S. Soccer matches to celebrate the culture of soccer in the U.S. An experiential footprint has fans walking away with an exclusive, co-branded scarf that has become a league-wide collectible. Continental also hosts tire dealers and other VIP guests at games throughout the season, including World Cup qualifying matches, the MLS All-Star game and the MLS Cup Championship. Through these efforts and more, rEvolution helps Continental continue its unique position as the official tire and exclusive tire partner of MLS for current and future MLS teams, maintaining its position as the second, longest-tenured MLS partner after adidas.
Content wise, rEvolution looked to further Continental’s commitment to the soccer community by producing digital spots that took a deeper dive into what truly makes American soccer so special and why tires are endemic to the sport.
- rEvolution assembled a roster of genuine soccer personalities each with a story to tell: Clint Dempsey, Tobin Heath, Sean Johnson, Chicago Fire super fan Nicole Hack and the American Outlaws. From there, attention turned to creating the emotion-driven, documentary-style look and feel of the campaign to captivate audiences and support the powerful stories being told – the personal trials, motivations, sacrifices and pure joy for a sport that forever changed each of their lives. rEvolution then hit the road, shooting each spot in the town or city where each participant felt closest to the sport, including Nacogdoches, Texas, Basking Ridge, N.J., and Chicago, and editing the footage to spotlight the inspirational yet relatable journeys they took to achieve their dreams.
- The result is a series of five, 30-second TV spots broadcasted (thanks to rEvolution’s Media team) during MLS and U.S. soccer games on FOX and ESPN throughout the 2018 season, all of which are accompanied by their own long-form digital spots. Each story is different but equally important in capturing the heart of American soccer: Clint Dempsey’s tribute to his parents’ love and support, Tobin Heath’s appreciation for her youth coach and her commitment to America’s next generation of soccer stars, Nicole Hack’s irreplaceable soccer family in the Chicago Fire Section 8 and more.
In college basketball, Continental looks to connect and build brand awareness and affinity with the sport’s young fan base and next tire-purchasing generation. Foregoing an official title sponsorship, the brand has instead relied on rEvolution to identify, negotiate and leverage key targeted opportunities with specific universities and tournaments. This unique approach has led to a comprehensive college basketball campaign that utilizes 32 invaluable partnerships with the top NCAA basketball schools in the country plus three pre-season and post-season tournaments, all which span across seven conferences (AAC, ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, PAC-12 and SEC).
- In support of extensive court-side signage designed to deliver premium exposure across the top basketball conferences, rEvolution’s Production Services team masterminded and currently oversees a comprehensive 2017-18 season on-site fan experience, which includes a custom Continental Tire “Pop-A-Shot” game plus branded premiums available in exchange for CRM data.
- Furthermore, rEvolution’s Creative team produced round two of the Dan Patrick commercials, which, coupled with Continental’s “The Dan Patrick Show” sponsorship, take advantage of the gravitas – and also at times, humor – the man brings to the college basketball space. The spots are an extension of the 2016-17 spots titled “Distractor” and “Buzzer Beater,” and focus on bringing the essence of college basketball to life and celebrating its fans’ passion for the game. The new ads found Dan speaking to the season-long quest to reach the top of college hoops (“Ladder”) and the heroes who cheer that quest on (“Big Man on Campus”), and even include a special appearance by popular Danette, “McLovin.”
- The ongoing Dan Patrick partnership was announced by Continental Tire via press release, posted on its digital channels and supported nationwide by a widespread media planning and buying strategy negotiated and managed by rEvolution’s Media group, ensuring maximum reach coast-to-coast. Commercials began airing nationally on January 3, 2018 and appeared during college basketball games broadcast on CBS, CBS Sports, FOX, FS1, Big Ten Network, ESPN Networks and Raycomm/ACC Network.
- In all, “The Dan Patrick Show” presenting sponsorship, original commercials and behind-the-scenes content made it easy for fans to positively engage with the brand and associate the show mentions and commercials’ stadium signage with the same in-game signage and branded interactive activations, all of which increases brand awareness.
rEvolution negotiated a partnership that saw Continental Tire become the official tire of the International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) sanctioned WeatherTech SportsCar Championship and the title partner of the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge. rEvolution worked to elevate all of these partnerships to drive sponsorship and brand awareness through mobile activations and hospitality at races.
- Negotiated extensive signage at tracks throughout the schedule including entitlement status at some of the most renowned venues, such as Elkhart Lakes Road America, Watkins Glen and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, delivering presence at IMSA, IndyCar and NASCAR events
- Hosted hospitality events at the majority of series events for more than 800 guests each year and delivered unique experiences like pit lane visits to the exclusive Continental Tire Pit Box, Winner Circle participation and Pace Car rides
- Managed the Continental Tire at-track tour, which delivered experiences in multiple locations at each series venue. The Continental Tire fan zone offered multiple opportunities for engaging with the brand, while the Tire Tech Center offered fans an exclusive look into the technology and development of the race tires and service operation at the race track.
- Negotiated and managed Continental Tire’s television presence across both series, including spot inventory, graphics, in-show features and in-car camera placement, to highlight the brand’s presence as a central part of the competition
In 2015, rEvolution worked with Continental Tire on the development and distribution of custom digital content and new advertising campaigns for the brand, designed to resonate with specific property audiences.
rEvolution developed and produced a lifestyle-focused series of digital shorts, a first for the brand. Un-tethered from properties, the series was an opportunity to engage fans organically, to reach a broader fan base, and to bring to life the key brand messaging that Continental Tire is “For What You Do.”
Each of the five webisodes, hosted by Survivor finalist and TV personality Andrea Boehlke, featured a “day-in-the-life” narrative, showcasing the lifestyles of those who excel in the sort of “rack” sports – mountain biking, kayaking, snowboarding, etc. – in which travel is part of the passion, and Continental Tire products are key to getting there. The series was supported online by a targeted media plan from rEvolution’s in-house digital experts, optimizing each episode’s content to best drive additional viewership and engagement.
Celebrating Soccer with Clint Dempsey
From humble beginnings in Nacogdoches, Texas; and the three hour drives to Dallas for club practice that accompanied them, to scoring goals in the World Cup; Clint Dempsey and his parents have given everything they have to give to achieving success in the game of soccer, and been given much back. See the full story HERE >
Working with rEvolution has allowed us to successfully drive our business through a variety of our sports partnerships. We are excited to maximize these existing relationships, as well as identify new opportunities to broaden our presence in the sports and lifestyle marketplace.Travis Roffler
There are few voices capable of lending sports the gravitas – and at times, comedy – that they deserve, but Dan Patrick’s has long been one of them. In recognition of Continental’s increased support of some of America’s best college basketball programs, these 30-second spots were produced with Dan ahead of the 2017-18 season.
Watch video >
Follow Andrea Boehlke as she spends a day with paddle surfing legend, Dave Boehne. Andrea will learn the ins and outs of hand shaping a surfboard at the Infinity Surf Factory, finally hitting the waves at San Onofre Beach, California.
Check out all the videos >